When it comes to telling Americans how to eat, there is no shortage of advice on what foods are the right foods.
This is not limited to the US but this is where I live.
There are hundreds of diets covering a myriad of food choices aimed at a specific outcome.
(i.e,. weight loss, weight gain, improve cardiovascular health, deal with insulin resistance, competitive sports eating, elimination diets, healing the immune system diets, and any number of diets aimed at dealing with any number of health conditions – both treating and preventing).
This doesn’t count diets dictated by religious tradition.
After realizing that my EMF Sensitivity was caused by exposure to heavy metals and other toxins I was exposed to while living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I set out to eat with the express purpose of eliminating these toxins and restoring lost nutrients so my body could heal itself.
I chronicle my experience in books and entries throughout my website emfconductor.com.
Fifteen months later, free of EMF Sensitivity, my family and I moved to the Pacific Northwest. Shortly after, I began to experience strange health symptoms unrelated to EMF Sensitivity.
Within three months, my hair turned from blonde to black, and I began to experience serious gum issues. Within six months, all the curl disappeared from my hair and I began to feel weird and sometimes painful sensations in my lower back.
I also began experiencing serious food intolerance issues.
Upon medical advice, I worked on my gut flora. I ate healthy foods such as lean proteins, salads with green leafy lettuces, a variety of fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats.
I also tried eating dark chocolate which shows my desperation – I don’t like chocolate – never have.
I came to realize that the healthier I ate, the worse I felt, and the sicker I got.
I first noticed it with spinach. I tried several other salads and the more nutrient dense the lettuce, the worse I felt.
I quit eating foods that made me feel bad even though they were purported to be super foods, packed with healthy life-giving nutrients.
It was only after moving to a new location in the area that I was able to figure out what had been going on.
The symptoms were not related to EMF Sensitivity, which made it more difficult to figure out.
The water where we were living was, like Arizona water, hard water.
It wasn’t as obvious because the dishes and shower glass weren’t as scored as in AZ.
After weeks in the new home, with very healthy drinking water, the symptoms began disappearing.
It was winter but my hair was going blonde again. The curl returned to my hair. My gums began to heal, and a number of other weird issues began to clear up.
A few months ago, I began actively working to eliminate excess calcium from my tissues.
I’ve written about this on this website.
The more excess I eliminated, the healthier I got.
The younger and more energetic I felt.
With the chaos in hindsight I was able to figure out why the healthy foods were making me so sick. They are all significant sources of calcium!
So, my advice to people in a similar situation – see what nutrients the foods have in common.
It might be another nutrient, such as copper, causing the problem. Excess copper causes symptoms of EMF Sensitivity.
Here are my personal observations:
- Kefir may be a source of good gut bacteria, but it’s also high in calcium. I experienced severe skin itching after drinking the stuff.
- Dark green leafy vegetables are high in calcium.
- Eating grains inhibits the body’s ability to absorb vitamin D. Vitamin D is one of the key nutrients needed to regulate calcium in the body.
- Exposure to UV rays, not sunshine, is necessary for the body to make Vitamin D. Most Americans wear sunscreen to block absorption of UV rays and most Americans are deficient in Vitamin D. Go figure.
- Vitamin D is not a vitamin. It’s a hormone. When humans take hormone replacement therapy when they do not need to, the body cuts back on its production. It is possible that people taking supplemental vitamin D are causing Vitamin D deficiency. in their bodies
- Magnesium citrate made the calcium problem much worse, while magnesium oxide helped. Magnesium is another key nutrient needed to regulate calcium in the body.
- Lugol’s iodine 5% turned the tide. Iodine is the third key ingredient necessary to regulate calcium in the body. I only needed 2 drops a day. I no longer take this.
- Most Americans are deficient in magnesium, vitamin D, and iodine.
- Baking soda therapy is helpful when eliminating excess calcium. Care should be taken so that new imbalances are avoided. Dr. Sircus has written extensively on this. He is my go-to source for information on baking soda therapy.
- Champagne plays a significant role in eliminating excess calcium from the body. Interestingly, the health benefits touted for champagne are inverse to health symptoms caused by excess calcium. For example, champagne helps memory. Excess calcium calcifying in the brain causes severe memory issues. Champagne helps the heart. Calcium crystals on artery walls are responsible for arteriosclerosis.
- Beer and red wine, high in phytic acid (tanins in wine), worsen the symptoms of excess calcium. Phytic acid interferes with the body’s metabolism of Vitamin D.
- White wine appears to be neutral. No problem but no benefit when dealing with excess calcium.
- Eliminating grains, including oats, helps because you are not ingesting a substance, phytic acid, that inhibits the body’s absorption of Vitamin D.
- Eliminating nuts is helpful because nuts are high in calcium. They are also a source of phytic acid.
- Proper preparation of nuts, seeds, beans, and grains reduces and/or eliminates phytic acid. Most Americans do not have access to foods that have been prepared properly.
- Eliminating cheese and dairy products is helpful because these are significant sources of calcium.
- Increase vitamin C, particularly ascorbic acid, to help the body flush excess calcium.
- Soft cheeses are better tolerated than other cheeses; particularly Stilton blue and gouda aged to contain the crystals.
- Avoiding anything fortified with vitamin D and/or calcium is helpful when dealing with excess calcium.
- It’s best to get your vitamin D naturally through exposure to UV rays, which pass through clouds. Get outside and walk!
- Any teas high in calcium, caffeinated or not, should be avoided though black coffee is fine. Espresso is even better because the phytic acid has been eliminated through the preparation process. Do not add dairy to your coffee or espresso beverage! This includes dairy substitutes fortified with calcium.
- As I eliminated the excess calcium, scar tissue in my body shrank and disappeared. This resulted in less pain before and during thunderstorms and the cessation of migraines at the site of my brain surgery scar.
- Eliminating excess calcium also resolved any rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
- Eating pineapple and cantaloupe has accelerated my healing from excess calcium related symptoms. I buy precut and eat multiple times a day.
I found a really great article on the interaction of nutrients with regards to excess calcium.
What this has taught me more than anything, aside from the devastating health effects of excess calcium, is that we need to eat in a way that is helpful, not harmful, to us.
Not what is recommended, but what works for us.
This may be counter to what health officials and other experts recommend, but the recommendations, in certain cases, can be deadly.
NOTE: People who take supplemental calcium may want to rethink this. Get a hair mineral analysis to see what’s going on with you. Compare these results with any blood work to get a comprehensive picture.
When I took supplemental calcium, I got a vibrating sensation in my foot at the location of a stress fracture. It was awful. I quit the supplement, problem resolved. I took calcium via supplement over a year later with the same result. The second was a different brand.
NOTE: If you take or have taken birth control pills, you are especially vulnerable to excess calcium related health issues.
The reasons are too complicated to go into in this article.
NOTE: If you live in an area with hard water, like Arizona, you are particularly vulnerable.
Get a water softener and/or make sure you get enough magnesium, iodine, and vitamin D, along with vitamin C.
NOTE: Some autoimmune diets call for the elimination of foods high in vitamin C and adding those high in calcium.
This is harmful for someone whose health issues, including their autoimmune condition, are caused by excess calcium in their tissues. An example is rheumatic arthritis.
As you eliminate excess calcium, you may be able to reintroduce foods that were problematic, but be careful you don’t go overboard. You could wind up back where you started if you get too much calcium relative to other nutrients.
The most important lesson is that you do what is right for you – not what someone else tells you you should do.
Have a hair mineral analysis and pertinent blood work! Find out what is going on with you.
Not other people your same age and sex…you.
And on a closing note – something a little lighter.